domingo, 9 de junho de 2013

You're not bulletproof...

Toys… Well it's my nephew's birthday and I...



Toys…

Well it's my nephew's birthday and I didn't really have time to go shopping for a proper present earlier today. While running errands I stopped by a yard sale cause I saw something sitting on one of the tables. It was a miniature toy M2HB. Even has a little charging handle on the side and the belt actually feeds through when the trigger is pulled.

I couldn't help but put it next to my DShK (sitting on my Lahti's skis) just for comparison. Sad thing is my nephew has more fake ammo for his belt-fed than I have real ammo for mine. I guess the saying is true, boys never grow up, their toys just get bigger. Now I just have to put in a big Disney bag and give it to my nephew later.

R.Tobys Piotrowo The largest revolver in the world being fired...



R.Tobys Piotrowo

The largest revolver in the world being fired and loaded.

Say hello to my little friend… The first photo may even be...









Say hello to my little friend…

The first photo may even be called a photoshop but this is an actual functioning firearm. It's basically a over-size Remington Model 1858. In the last two photos you can see the real revolver next to it's gigantic counterpart. A custom built project, the revolver weighs 99 lbs and is a little over 4 feet long.

It's caliber is listed at 28mm and it uses a ball projectile. This is not the Pfeifer Zeliska although it is often mistaken as such. It was inducted into the Guinness World Records as the largest operational revolver ever made.

Source

Ruchnoy Pulemyot Kalashnikova...(4)

Much delayed update to the RPK-74M project build. I was waiting for most of the U.S required parts to arrive. I would take photos of each individual one but they’re already boxed up and ready to be sent to my builder on Monday, so I’ll just use the stock images.

I’ll list a couple of the parts I got but some I won’t list until after the build is done because I have to wait for word on my builder if its possible to do the modifications. Don’t worry they’re legal but they aren’t standard on the RPK-74M.

The trigger group was one of the parts I was debating on for a while which is why I took so long to order one. Generally the consensus is you have two options; Tapco G2 or Red Star Arms. The Tapco is around $30.00, while the RSA trigger group is around $75.00 to $80.00 because it’s adjustable.

While I understand the benefits of an adjustable trigger, I also felt it really wasn’t necessary. I’m not using the RPK-74M at the range as a precision rifle.

Though I could have gone with the Tapco G2 but I went with a third option that some people aren’t aware of. It’s the Texas AK Trigger group. Whether or not their statement on their website is true is up for research and debate.

Our triggers are made from an improved design of Ivan Kolev, former Chief Designer for the Arsenal Co. Kazanlak factory. These parts are made to Mr. Kolev’s specifications in alloy, heat treatment and dimensions, and the foundry making them is held to very high standards.

Source

What I did like was the slight wider and grooved trigger. It’s not a major departure in terms of modifications but I like that added bit of ergonomic detail. It’s not the only difference though. You can go to the source above and read their descriptions of each slight modification.

image

The Texas AK Trigger is only about $35.00 so it’s not a massive price difference from the G2 but definitely cheaper than the RSA. You’ll notice this is a double hook trigger. This would normally be found mostly on milled receivers. The builder actually prefers double hook triggers and said he’ll make the notch in the stamped receiver to allow it to fit. I’ve seen other builders do this modification on their stamped rifles, claiming it helps reduce trigger slap. If that’s true or not I don’t know. I’ve never compared a single hook stamped AK to a double hooked stamped AK.

Onto the business end. One of the easiest parts to replace in order to maintain 922r requirements is the muzzle attachment; whether it be a flash hider, muzzle brake or compensator.

Tapco once again makes a version of the RPK-74 birdcage style flash hider which would be the correct one to use for the build.

imageI did however order another flash hider to test in comparison but also cause I was curious what it would look like on the RPK-74M. The AR M1 flash hider is Bulgarian in origin and Arsenal uses them on one of their rifles. It’s a bit more bulbous than the birdcage but I figure why not? I can always swap it out and sell it if I end up not liking how it looks or performs.

image

As for magazines, because I have all the required U.S parts (the rest were listed in the previous blog entries), I don’t have to rely on U.S made magazines, followers or floor plates.

Right now I only have 2 Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags and one Russian bakelite. I honestly prefer the Circle 10 mags over bakelite mostly for aesthetic purposes. I’d really like to get a hold of some Russian polymer 5.45x39 45 rounders but I don’t want to spend that much on magazines yet. For the price of one Russian polymer 45 rounder, I could buy 2 or even 4 bakelite mags depending on average price.

image

I haven’t bought a sling for it yet even though there are vendors selling the proper RPK style (according to them). There are some black slings for the RPK but they seem harder to find. I’ll hold off on buying the sling until maybe after I get the gun back from the builder.

image

That about covers the parts and stuff I’m listing. I’m using a couple of different parts on the build for my own purposes, which may piss off some AK purists but all of the parts are from the Kalashnikov family so it’s not total blasphemy.

Base estimate on turnaround time from my builder is 3 to 4 months; so I may have the rifle back before December hopefully. I had to shop around because the RPK-74M is a fairly rare kit, not too many gunsmiths have assembled one and there usually is a higher build price associated.

This will probably be the last post on the RPK-74M build until it returns assembled. Slowly getting there, but at least while it’s away being built I can focus on other projects.

image

Eject



Eject

Enfield What many people say is the fastest traditional...



Enfield

What many people say is the fastest traditional bolt-action rifle due to how smooth and easy it is to operate. The Enfield is often associated with the "Mad Minute" where an infantryman would fire off as many aimed shots in 1 minute. A group of infantryman doing this could lay down heavy suppressing fire if there was no machine gun available.

One advantage the Enfield had over other bolt-actions in World War II was its capacity of 10 rounds. That might be an Enfield No.4 in the photo due to the ribbed upper handguard.

I rarely listen to songs with lyrics or anything that I think...



I rarely listen to songs with lyrics or anything that I think would end up being played on Pandora but this song reminded me a lot about PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Not my usual type of music but I've kind of come to like this song.

RJ Martin Knives - Devastator



RJ Martin Knives - Devastator

Raging Bull 44 One of Taurus's larger revolvers using the...



Raging Bull 44

One of Taurus's larger revolvers using the Raging Bull frame. This one as its name suggests is chambered in .44 Magnum. Usually Raging Bull models come in different barrel lengths depending on caliber; ranging from 2", 4", 6", 8" and 10".

Nest An MG42 (or MG3 or MG74 or M53) in a makeshift machine gun...



Nest

An MG42 (or MG3 or MG74 or M53) in a makeshift machine gun nest. Winter climates means winter gear and having thick gloves to protect your hands from frostbite also meant trouble using the trigger. The MG42 had a special add-on piece on the outside of trigger guard that could operate the trigger. The one in the photo doesn't have it attached; it adds quite a bit of visible bulk.

Not so common… What looks like any other Nagant M1895,...



Not so common…

What looks like any other Nagant M1895, this one is actually the much harder to find .22 LR conversion. It still maintains the same 7 round capacity but because the .22 LR is not recessed like the 7.62x38mmR, there is some expulsion of gasses.

While a regular Nagant M1895 can cost a $100 or so, the .22 LR, depending on condition can be $500 or more. I was half-tempted to buy this one but decided not to; the price was too high.

All aboard… Norwegian SWAT practicing vessel boarding...













All aboard…

Norwegian SWAT practicing vessel boarding tactics. Interesting that the H&K MP5 in the last photo appears to have a stainless steel finish. It looks too uniform to be regular wear if all the black had been rubbed off. It could be coated in a corrosion resistant finish like some marine shotguns.

Prayer time… A rebel fighter (not sure if it's Libya...



Prayer time…

A rebel fighter (not sure if it's Libya or Syria) gets out of his technical and prays towards Mecca. Note the newer model DShK in the back of the truck along with crates of ammo.

Chinese Toys At first I thought this was another Syrian rebel...



Chinese Toys

At first I thought this was another Syrian rebel with a Russian OSV-96 but it didn't look right. It's actually another semi-auto anti-material rifle chambered in 12.7x108mm; a Chinese M99. Ammunition sources shouldn't be a problem again considering all of the DShK's in Syria.

You can tell it's an M99 by the long, thin gas tube, the carry handle position and the way the bipod juts forward from that attachment point.

Urban Warfare A rebel fighter belonging to the Liwa Al-Fatah...



Urban Warfare

A rebel fighter belonging to the Liwa Al-Fatah takes cover as he aims at an enemy position from a school building during skirmishes with the Syrian army in the nearby Bustan Al-Pasha front line in Aleppo, Syria, on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012.(Photo credit: Narciso Contreras/AP)

The long barreled RPK isn't generally well-suited for cramped urban environments but looks like there is enough space where he's at. An interesting report about some of the weapons in Syria is that many rebel fighters prefer to remove the wooden stock to reduce overall length at the cost of being unable to shoulder the rifle.

Franchi LAW-12 The lesser known sibling to the SPAS-12, the LAW...





Franchi LAW-12

The lesser known sibling to the SPAS-12, the LAW is semi-auto as well and shares many of the same parts. This one has the rather uncommon scope mount designed for the SPAS and LAW; although I'm not sure if it will fit on the SAS-12, which was the pump-action member of the family.

The mount uses its own provided pins to replace the ones used to hold the trigger group in place so it isn't a permanent modification. As beneficial as it is, it does prevent the use of the folding stock if you have one.

Panic price for all...

drpoptart said: I don't understand why the price of these would go up since the Sandy Hook tragedy since these can't even hold more than several bullets

Regarding the “Serbu BFG-50A” post.

It’s simple really; being a semi-automatic and a 50 caliber rifle makes it a prime target for anti-gun legislation, even if it only holds 10 rounds. You need only look at the New York SAFE Act which limited 10 round magazines to 7 round. Is there logic in that? No.

Show the Serbu BFG-50A to Senator Diane Feinstein and steam will shoot out of her ears and nostrils as she foams at the mouth screaming “MUST BANNNNNNNN!!!!!”

Every gun of every type, regardless of size or capacity saw it’s price skyrocket after the tragedy in Connecticut.

Serbu BFG-50A A semi-automatic 50 caliber rifle that actually...



Serbu BFG-50A

A semi-automatic 50 caliber rifle that actually uses Barrett magazines. It's a tad bit cheaper than the Barrett, which by some is considered the benchmark semi-auto 50 on the market. I'm not sure what the going price is now on these. Prior to the Sandy Hook Tragedy, Serbu had them listed at $6,700 (their website still shows that price) but I've heard it's gone up. I'll link their website below if you want to see their description and I guess if you want to order it.

Source

"When he gets to Heaven To St. Peter he will tell: One more Marine reporting, Sir — I've served..."

"When he gets to Heaven
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more Marine reporting, Sir — I've served my time in Hell."

- Sgt. James A. Donahue - 1st Marine Division

Return Some asked why they were spared, and not others,...



Return

Some asked why they were spared, and not others, including former Army Sgt. Major Richard Blatnik, a member of the Army's 1st Division, known as the "Big Red One". He spoke of the willingness to go back, and trade places with the young men he commanded. Those young men who died next to him. Blatnik  talked in riveting detail, about the sounds of machine gun fire whizzing by his head. The deafening blast of mortar fire landing right next to him. The smoke that filled the sky, taking away the horizon. The slog of pushing through sand, and 10 foot high piles of rock, that sank like quicksand when you walked on it with an 80 pound pack.

But the most moving moment of the day, came when that same Mr. Blatnik, at 93 years of age, wanted to go onto Omaha beach, and not just in the sand. He wanted to walk the quarter to half mile, to Fox Red One. The zone on Omaha where he and his men landed 69 years ago. As we moved slowly through the sand, with his walker with wheels, Blatnik struggled with his steps, but demanded to press on. Army man to the end. He got his wish. There we stood, in the same sand that he dodged German gunfire on in 1944. Looking straight up into the high ground, and a valley, that would be their strategic target. And then, Blatnik dropped to the sand. With tears in his eyes, he praised the Lord for sparing his life, and prayed even harder that his comrades would be taken care of. He blessed the sand under his hands and knees. The last time Mr. Blatnik was here, the people up the hill from this beach, the soldiers of Hitler's Nazi war machine, were doing everything in their power to kill him. Today, 69 years later, everyone who lives up that hill, and through the rolling hills of the French countryside and across this nation, praise him.

Source

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário